Subject: Re: Quickdraw driver for Windows?

From: "Dale D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 20:34:50 -0600

Bill Lueck wrote:
> 
> Is there a QuickDraw printer driver, either commercial, shareware, or
> freeware, for a Macintosh printer like the HP Deskwriter 540 that runs
> on a PC under Windows 3.1?  If not, is there any other way to print
> on a Mac printer from a PC?  Please email any information on this to
> [email-masked]  Thanks very much.
> 
> Bill

Bill,

  First, a couple of things...  You are going to have a very hard time
trying to get a DeskWriter 540 to even connect to a PC compatible,
unless you've got an AppleTalk interface card installed in your PC.

  The DeskWriter 540 has an RS-422A serial/AppleTalk interface running
at 57.6Kbps/230.4Kbps.  The printer IS a QuickDraw printer when
connected to a Mac, but technically is a PCL-3 printer when it comes to
the print codes accepted.  This means that if you were actually able to
physically get it connected to a PC, you would be able to use a DeskJet
540 driver, which is already installed in Windows, to drive it (as long
as the only fonts used are true-type fonts -- as the DeskWriter 540
doesn't have the built-in fonts that the DeskJet 540 has).

  I hope this can be of some help.

Jerry V. Smith
[email-masked]